Pages

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

FIVE MINUTES WITH JANET WOOD - SAP HEAD OF GLOBAL STRATEGIC SERVICE PARTNERS

by Angela Schuller

What projects are you currently working on that you are excited about?
Janet: Certainly being a part of SAP’s Global Diversity Committee and the work we’re doing under the three pillars of Generational Talent, Women in Leadership and Cultural & Visible Diversity is very exciting and energizing. We have big, big plans within SAP and my role on the Committee as the GCO Representative is to make sure our organization has a plan to move those three needles. What’s exciting is the potential impact we can have regionally and globally.
Diversity is something about which I’ve been passionate throughout my career. The work we’re doing on the Committee is important, critical even, and for two reasons. First, I’ve been given many opportunities [during my career] and want others to have the same, so it is important to me personally. And second because it is critical to SAP if we are going to evolve as an organization. We need to attract the best talent in the market to advise us and be a long-term part of our team to excel on a global business platform.

What are some of your passions and hobbies you enjoy outside of the office?
Janet: I enjoy reading and travel, but most of my passions revolve around sports; like golf, tennis and particularly cycling. My partner, Dave, and I enjoy going out on a Saturday morning in the summer for a full day. About four or five years ago, we took a week-long trip and cycled through Provence, France. When you are on a bike, you’re ‘in it’; hearing the wind, feeling the resistance as you pedal. And when you are in Provence it seems like every beautiful, historic little town is at the top of a hill! 

What's on your Bucket List?
Janet: The first thing that comes to mind when I hear that question is a river cruise through Europe. It looks like such a relaxing way to travel. I’d make sure I returned to places like Tuscany and Rome and took the time to see them in a leisurely, unhurried way. It’s the history of Europe — the 16th, 17th, 18th, even 19th century history — that I enjoy. I’ve read about Catherine the Great and find the imperial history of Russia dramatic, fascinating and complex. So I’d include cities there as well.
There’s one more item. I’m an 18 handicap golfer, so ‘Become a better golfer’ is on the list too.

Describe your perfect day.
Janet: Well, I’m at home and I’d sleep in until 8am or 9am — not sure if that actually counts as ‘sleeping in’. Then Dave and I [NA News note: Janet has three step daughters and a grandson, 10-month-old Robby] would have a nice breakfast somewhere and spend the day near the water. Maybe stop into Starbucks for a latte. Go for a bike ride or play a round of golf. We would cap it off with dinner on our deck. It would be a wonderfully relaxing day in Vancouver, really. By the way, my phone isn’t getting a lot of attention either!

If you could have dinner with anyone (living or not), who would it be and why?
Janet:  This is such a tough question to answer! I have to say Virginia “Ginni” Rometty, IBM’s current Chair, President and CEO [NA News note: Janet worked at IBM for 16 years]. Because of our partnership with IBM, I had the opportunity attend a meeting with Ginni and Bill McDermott in December last year. My sense is she’s very genuine, outgoing and personable. Consider what she has accomplished as a woman at the head of a company that size and IBM’s leading position on diversity. I think it would be fascinating to hear her perspective on life, careers and lessons learned. 
I’m going to invite someone else to dinner: Cheryl Sandberg, the COO of Facebook. She is in an incredibly strong position in a company that has made a giant impact on the world of technology and how we relate to one another. Plus, she has made women in leadership a significant, personal focus; I really admire that and would love the opportunity to talk to her about it.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, nice site you have here! Keep up the excellent work!







    SAP Careers

    ReplyDelete